Vologda, Irish, Bruges ... laces are invariably captivating. Choosing lace, guipure dresses, women perfectly know how charming and elegant they look, decorated with their graceful pattern!
It is not at all difficult to sew clothes from lacy linen with your own hands, if you know a few simple rules.
First, it is necessary to decide for what occasion the lace outfit is designed. For example, lace over a satin base is a great choice for a wedding or evening dress.
However, on weekdays, guipure blouses and skirts, as well as lace appliqués, melodiously called in Ukraine “leastly”, will beautifully and organically complement the clothes of a business woman or denim for a walk in the park.
So, you decided to start sewing from a lacy cloth.
Here are some tips that will make your work with this delicate and refined material even more enjoyable.
- Pay attention to the density of the material and pre-connect parts depending on the picture. After that, you can safely proceed to the piercing of parts using a sewing machine or overlock.
- To make the finished product look elegant and worn with great pleasure, prepare a slanting silk backing for facing internal seam allowances.
- Choose knitted lace with elasticity, if you have to sew a form-fitting dress or skirt.
- When working with elastic lace, make sure that the shoulder seams are secured with a stabilizing cotton tape. This will maintain the shape of the shoulder and limit the stretching of the web.
- Choose a model with a small number of stitches for sewing to keep the elegant lace pattern as much as possible. Move the tucks in the side seam, in line for the waist.
- Pick the right lining. It can be in tone lace, or a contrast, emphasizing pattern. Depending on the texture of the material, choose a flexible knit backing for ductile knitted lace.
- Lace fabric looks great over silk, satin and fine woolen fabrics. Having chosen the fabric you like as the basis, proceed to cutting. Place the cut lace details on top of the lining details and put them together, sweeping them along the contour. This will simplify the work of stitching the multilayer parts of the product.
- Lace fabric with downward facing decorative elements (scallops) can be used to decorate the bottom of the product, neck and sleeves. Consider the length of festoons when cutting. Such an ornamental strip looks very beautiful, but does not require additional facing sections.
- Decided to decorate the clothes with lace appliqué? Take in aid paper tape and glue the cut parts on the fabric. A needle passes easily through the paper tape and it leaves no marks on the fabric. However, for greater certainty, first check this property on a small piece of matter.
- Do not forget about the need to use the stabilizer application from the wrong side of the product.
- Scrunch the lace with a zigzag stitch, then carefully remove the stabilizing materials. The finished product can be ironed with a slightly warm iron, observing the utmost care in handling delicate matter.